Saturday, January 9, 2010

Warren Kimble is a success at licensing his art

Warren Kimble is not a photographer but I admire his business sense. Kimble is a painter and proof that some artists can become rich before they die. When I look at his art I also see proof that the art does not have to be beautiful to sell.

Years ago Kimble was an antiques dealer in small-town Vermont and then he veered into painting in the primitive style. This style does nothing for me. I find it repulsive, childish and ugly. But, hey this is what millions of people have paid good money to own so what does my opinion mean? He is rich and I am struggling to feed my kids and buy them new shoes.

Here is what happened. Kimble was painting works one at a time and selling them one at a time just like most other painters. But then he made a change that meant big rewards. He learned to multiply his earnings by licensing his work to be mass produced not only as wall art but also to be printed on towels, potholders, aprons, tablecloths, rugs, plates and etc. He paints primitive versions of barns, cows, chickens and such. People love his work.

I entered Warren Kimble’s name in a google search and got 109,000 hits. A search for Warren Kimble items on Ebay came back with 369 items including cookie jars, plates, mugs, lamps and more. So he is popular and earning a comfortable living. I wish him well and hope to someday gain some achievements of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment