Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Candles Create a Mystic Feeling

This photo was taken while I was shooting a wedding and I almost forgot about it. After the 1,000 or so images of the wedding were edited, rotated, cropped, color-corrected and submitted I took another look and found this photo as a reject. But I decided that even if it did not belong as part of the wedding album it was still an image with potential.
So I tweaked it a bit. I had my camera on a tripod when I took this shot using a slow shutter speed. The original image was a bit crooked. So in Photoshop I used the cropping to tool to get the lines of the horizon as straight as possible. It is still not all 90 degree angles but why be obsessed with that?
All these candles were inside a fireplace at the wedding reception and when I looked closely at the image I could see some detail of the bricks. I didn't like that so I used the burn and dodge tool to darken those details.
One other thing I did was add more black space as a border. In most photos this would not work but here it was easy. I just went to to file and added an inch or so to the canvas size. Then I had an image that pleased me.
This image is featured in my fine art photo book VARIOUS VISIONS
fine art Photography
By Jon Wason

No comments:

Post a Comment