Sunday, November 15, 2009

Switching from film to digital


Goodbye film. After years of popping a roll into the back of my camera and shooting 36 exposures it was fun to go digital. But being a digital photographer is not all fun and games. Along with the advantages of seeing the images right away and not having to change film after every 36 shots there are some drawbacks.

Digital cameras go hand and with computers and software. Looking back I see that I used to hand off the film to the lab and later pick up my proofs. They did all the processing while I was shooting more images or doing something productive. Or sleeping. Then I selected the best images from the proofs and instruct the lab how to create the enlargements I wanted.
Nowadays there is very little work handed over to the lab. So who does it? Me. When? at night when I used to sleeping. Or when I could be out shooting. Oh well.
So to anyone recently converted to the wonderful world of digital photography or still shooting film and pondering "going digital" I say get ready to spend lots of time sitting in front of your monitor and late night editing sessions.
But all in all I do prefer my digital lifestyle because I am in control now more than I was when things were trusted to the lab.

2 comments:

  1. Are there still labs who process B&W films?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very few B&W labs remain. I know of one in Massachusetts. New York has everything so I am sure there are labs there.

    ReplyDelete