Sunday, November 29, 2009

Do I need a tripod?

Yesterday I was talking a man who works a teacher but is also passionate about his hobby of photography. We were sharing about things we enjoy shooting when I mentioned one image that was made with my camera on a tripod. "I have never used a tripod. Why do you need one?" he asked.
There are several reasons to use a tripod. I like shooting neon signs. That is a situation where a tripod comes in handy. Holding the camera steady for an exposure that could be a half second to several seconds would be a blurry photo. But attach the camera to a tripod and the problem is solved.
The dark shade deep in a forest is another setting where a tripod can make the difference between sharp focus and a blurry of soft image. Because the human eye is so versatile the average person is not aware how dim the light is in a wooded area where the canopy of tall trees captures the light and allows very little sunshine to hit the forest floor.
One evening a few months ago there was a brilliant full moon so I set up my tripod and clicked a few frames with my trusty camera and was pleased with the result. The shot with a handheld camera would have been a waste of time.
Sports is not my forte, but for photographers that shoot action such as soccer, horses races and cycling, long telephoto lenses yield the best images. And the longer the lens, the more a shake, bump or vibration is amplified. So a tripod goes together with a long lens like a helmet goes with a motorcycle. Bird and wildlife photographers depend on long lenses and tripods.
Over the years I have owned many tripods. When I was starting out I looked for a bargain but cheap tripods have wobbly heads. Not good. The whole idea of a tripod is keeping the camera steady. So if your tripod wiggles a little bit what purpose does that serve? So five or six years ago I spent a generous amount of money on a Bogen tripod with a ball head. It was well worth every penny. My photos improved and that piece of equipment has never failed me or caused any regrets.
So if you are seeking sharp photos, shooting in dim or using long lenses you need a good tripod.

No comments:

Post a Comment